Art Credit: The Fly (SLM Production Group)
The characters with this origin are going to be a little weird, no doubt about it. Have you ever wanted a character with wings and blubber and tentacles? You literally can.
Follow me on Twitter @OctopusRPG for some quick-to-run free adventures.
Sorcerer Unstable Mutation Sorcerous Origin
Some sorcerers are born with innate magical abilities. Others, although rare, develop these propensities later on, and sometimes the transition is less than comfortable. Whether the result of a magical experiment gone wrong, a freak alchemical accident, or exposure to unpredictable arcane energies, the unstable mutation sorcerous origin represents the havoc that results from powerful magic run amok in a mortal body. Stopping the mutation is impossible, and surely such a thing would be impossible to control.
At 1st level, your mutation manifests pockets of arcane energy somewhere in your body. When you gain this ability, choose one of the following damage types: Lightning, Fire, Cold, or Acid. As a bonus action you may make a ranged spell attack against a target that you can see within 30 ft. On a hit, the attack deals damage of the chosen type equal to 1d10 + your Constitution Modifier.
This damage increases to 2d10 + Constitution Modifier at level 6 and 3d10 + Constitution Modifier at level 14.
Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.
Also at 1st level, magical exposure causes your body begins to mutate in strange and unpredictable ways. Choose one of the following mutations:
- Powerful Legs. Your legs becoming longer, more muscular, and more flexible. Your movement speed increases by 5 feet. You can jump up to 15 feet horizontally or vertically as a part of your move.
- Sharp Protrusions. You grow razor-sharp claws on your arms and hands. You can roll a d6 in place of the normal damage for your unarmed strike. You gain a climb speed of 20ft.
- Wriggling Tentacles. You have advantage on Athletics checks to initiate a grapple. Grappling does not occupy any of your hands.
At 6th level, your physiology takes on bestial adaptations to specific environmental conditions. Choose one of the following physical adaptations:
- Alpine Adaptation. Your body develops a thick furry pelt and a layer of insulating blubber that protects from arctic temperatures. You gain resistance to cold damage and you count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift.
- Amphibious Adaptation. Your physiology mutates to accommodate life both in and out of water. You develop gills, fins and webbed flippers. You gain a swim speed equal to your walking speed and you can breathe underwater.
- Desert Adaptation. Your body develops sophisticated biological strategies to retain energy and survive harsh conditions. You gain resistance to fire damage and you require double the levels of exhaustion to suffer any negative effects.
At 14th level, the magical flux grants you another beneficial peculiarity. Your intimate familiarity with the energies warping your flesh gives you limited access to specific innate magical abilities:
- Aspect of the Arachnid. You develop complex compound eyes and chitinous camouflage. You gain +5 to your initiative checks. You also gain proficiency in stealth checks. You may cast Invisibility once as though it was cast using the highest level spell slot you have available. Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.
- Aspect of the Avian. You sprout wings, granting a Fly speed of 60 ft. You may cast Flight once as though it was cast using the highest level spell slot you have available. Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.
- Aspect of the Parasite. Your body adopts systems of transforming the energy of others into your own. Whenever you become the target of a spell, you gain temporary HP equal to the level of the spell slot used to cast it. You may cast Vampiric Touch once as though it was cast using the highest level spell slot you have available. Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.
At 18th level, you become able to exert control over your body’s mutation. Whenever you finish a short or long rest, you may swap any abilities granted by your Unstable Mutation background for others available at the same level. Spells granted by your Physiological Aspect share a single use.